Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ahhh, comfort food


You can't really mess up a roast chicken unless you overcook it and it dries out. A roast chicken, especially the whole bird, is one of my comfort foods. It's also a piece of cake to make.

  • Cook at 450 for first 10 min, then drop heat to 375
  • This bird was about 4 pounds so I cooked it for just over an hour (roughly 20-25 min per pound)
  • Don't forget to take out the innards before you put it in the oven!
  • 1 bird, defrosted
  • I coat the skin and under the skin with a bit of olive oil, pepper, adobo and pepper. There's usually enough salt in the adobo.
  • When you think your chicken might be done, check it by forking it and see if the juices run clear. If it does, ta da! You've got yourself an edible chicken.
Then onto broth....
After I plucked the bird of its tender meat, I threw the carcass, a few carrots, couple of onions and a few cloves of garlic in a big ol'pot, filled it with water and let it simmer for about 8 hours total. I did it over two days. Then i threw out the gross bits, tossed the veggies and skimmed the broth for fat. I poured the broth in a big tub and will let it sit and separate - one more fat skimming before I use it. I'll end up using it as the base for a bean soup I've got planned but in the meantime, I'll freeze it.

Double whammy.



1 comment:

  1. Ahh, my mouth is watering. Sounds so comforting and delicious and that is one damn good looking bird!

    ReplyDelete