Friday, January 28, 2011

I Found Out About This New Thing.

Up until relatively recently, my cooking repertoire consisted of a few main meals: Shake n' Bake chicken, canned soup, spaghetti and English muffin pizzas. As certain people in my life can attest to, I virtually subsisted on English muffin pizzas during those dark days of post-college and pre-employment. I think I made meatballs once. Which prompts me to ask this question: how am I alive? How did I survive to the ripe old age of 32 on a steady diet of  canned sauce, boxed seasonings, meat and refined starches? Where were my vegetables? Why do I not have the gout?

I'm not entirely sure what inspired me to start cooking. Perhaps it was due to the fact that most of my friends are cooking hobbyists, or perhaps it was subliminal inspiration from Top Chef. I think I finally got tired of being crappy at it and just started following recipes. It also helps that my husband is super supportive and will eat anything that I make, and rave about it, even when I would rather throw it out the window. There have been a few "oh we so can't eat this" moments, but over the past couple of years, I've started to really like cooking. I like having control of what goes into my body, monitoring nutritional content, communing with friends over home cooked meals and obviously saving money. NYC is the take-out capital of the world, it's true, but tiny kitchens shouldn't prevent you from experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment